We went on this side trip to Palmyra and then on a cruise with our shirt-tail relatives Larry and Joan Goss. Larry is a travel agent and attended to all the details, which made our part of the trip much nicer! The captions for the pictures are UNDER the pictures. (In other words, the people in this picture below are not Larry and Joan.)
^
Our Quality Inn in Rochester, NY housed participants of the Thirteenth Annual Old English Sheepdog Competition with dogs from around the world. We shared the hotel with them! Fortunately, after we were in our rooms, we were unaware of their barking, I mean, presence.
Side Note: Our bath/shower hot water tap worked, but the cold water tap did not. Dilemma. Showering was out of the question so we filled tub with HOT water and used the ice bucket to carry cold water from the sink to the tub until the desired terperature was achieved. We were really roughing it!
^
We stayed at the Liberty House Bed and Breakfast in Palmyra. It was delightful inside. Best breakfast we had on the entire trip!!!
^
So interesting to see all the processes involved in the first printing of the Book of Mormon. The Church has done such a marvelous job of restoring this gorgeous building.
^
Time for play in this lovely park in downtown Palmyra.
^
The Log House where the Smith family lived. This is where they lived when Joseph went to the grove for his first prayer. Moroni visited Joseph here. The plates were hidden here at various times.
^
Frame House where the Smith Family moved. Plates were also hidden here. This house was incredibly modern with many conveniences, i.e., 3 fireplaces, built in oven, sink which drained to the outside, pantry by the kitchen, etc. Alvin built this home for his parents and died about a year later.
^
This is one of many pictures we took of the Sacred Grove. Our testimony is that it really is sacred. Richard and I tried to sing "Oh How Lovely Was The Morning," and it didn't diminish the spirt one bit.








3 comments:
I love the pictures and the testimony. What a blessing you are in our lives! 3 years, wow, where does the time go?!
Soooo excited to see you have posted! Love this post but I have 2 questions.
1. Never heard of "shirt tail relatives." What does that mean? People who feel like relatives but aren't?
2. Uh, why didn't you ask for a different room when you found out there was no cold water?
That B&B you stayed at in Palymyra looks totally quaint. I would have loved that. Did you take any pictures inside?
I didn't know that about Alvin making that house for his parents before he died.
Really enjoyed this Susan! I kept thinking though while I was reading it...how thankful I am that Dad has you..that we all do.
Hey Aunt Sue!! Thank you for sharing these! I've never been on the church history tour...we're hoping to go this next year. Loved looking at these pictures. Looks like it was a fabulous trip!
Post a Comment