Hello to all my fans out there in the blogosphere world--all 7 to 10 of you!
Richard and I recently took a trip to the Bay Area to meet with old friends of his. We went up there on an Amtrak train to Emeryville and then an Amtrak bus to Pier 39. Lovely ride and uneventful.
We met up with Ken Oyer and his wife Jackie and saw a lot of the sites, ate at a Thai place and then had dinner at an Italian restaurant. Both delicious. Fun, fun, fun.
The next day the two of them were in the "Bridge to Bridge" race which is from the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Bridge. Your choice is to run the 5K, 7K, or 12K. The Finish Line is the same for whichever K you choose to run.
See pictures of the runners below.
See us in the middle of all the runners below.
See the finish line below.
See the live bands that greet the 5,000 to 10,000 runners below.
See all the tents with free stuff below.
See Ken and Jackie after finishing the race.
See Ghiradelli Square. See Rita's Diner. See the ships at sea. See Bubba Gumps. See the street entertainment. See Golden Gate Park (taken from the car). See Union Square (taken from the car). See China Town (taken from the car).
What? You don't see any pictures? Well, that's because I downloaded them to my computer from my camera and then I deleted them from my camera. However, thru some weird computer malfunction (definitely NOT the person pushing the Delete Key,) they were also deleted from my camera AND my computer! So, use your imagination on the pictures!
The highlight or rather a really lowlight of our trip was on the bus from Pier 39 back to Emeryville. Another bus broke down so the people on that bus were asked to get on our bus and they were crammed in the aisles and I mean crammed in--we, of the first bus, filled all the seats so the second bus people were all standing up.
Well, a black lady and an hispanic lady got into a shouting/cussing/blaspheming/swearing/cursing/verbal exchange that made Richard blush and me cover my ears. It was HORRIBLE! There were children on the bus too which made it even worse.
The S word, the B word, the Wh word, the F word, the K word, the D word, the N word, the Z word, the T word, the J word, the whole alphabet of words were used with threats hurled. If they hadn't been separated by several people, I'm sure there would have been fisticuffs.
Well, I whispered to Richard that we should sing "God Bless America" or something. So, he starts singing said song at the top of his lungs! Not wanting him to be the only one singing, I joined in with him. The two men in front of us joined in, but it didn't catch on as we were hoping. (The two women were still at it thru the last stanza.)
Finally, a calmness prevailed. We aren't sure if someone laser-gunned the one woman or what, but the last 10 minutes were thankfully muted.
They really were great pictures. Are they out there in cyberspace somewhere? Where do deleted objects go?
I have to give a plug for Jill and Justin's blog site (Jill is my married granddaughter who is expecting in April, is living in Oxford, England while her husband is working on his PhD in Medical Anthropology, and her youngest brother, Cody (senior in HS) is with them). Her site is: http://themaldens.blogspot.com. Cody's blog site is: www.thefrazerman.blogspot.com. I think you can interchange (or innerchange?) the http and the www, but what do I know?
Susan
5 comments:
I've taken that same trip to SF many times...the one without pictures. Wendy and I had a disagreement on our honeymoon over who should carry the camera and it still hasn't totally been resolved. Great to see and hear you two are getting along so well!! rr (jr)
Loved this story! I try to picture dad singing at the top of his lungs!
What a great idea you had in an attempt to drown out the profanity. Hopefully some little child there benefited from that, rather than the cursing. So sorry about the pictures, I would have loved seeing them!
Keep the posts coming Susan! I love them.
Wow!! Sounds like you had quite the exciting trip. Though I'm sorry you lost the pictures, thank you for sharing through words your adventures and misadventures. It's almost as good as reading a good book, or better really because I know the hero of the story!
Hey Susan love your blog. I wish I could have seen you both when you were up here. Next time come over. You are always welcomed here. We could also go to Christopher and Banks.
Post a Comment