Today I had the privilege to use my affordable health insurance to get an MRI or Magnetic Resonance Imaging procedure done at the local hospital. I am grateful for modern technology and that I have access to it.
HOWEVER, I have a few suggestions for those of you who may have this same opportunity.
1. Request to be PUT TO SLEEP prior to the procedure.
2. If previous request is not honored, at least insist on heavy drugs to dull ones senses. I did not know these were available. WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME?
3. Keep your eyes closed. Under no circumstances should you open them before or during.
4. Know ahead of time that if you want to "opt out" you CAN do this by calmly saying, "I'm feeling very uncomfortable in here." I had no idea anyone could hear me, or that I had the option to contact someone from within the depths of the MRI machine. Ten minutes into it a voice said to me, "How're you doing in there?" I said, "Do I have a choice?" The voice chuckled. Subsequent conversation with my nurse daughter, revealed that I should have expressed my extreme anxiety.
5. Learn to live with whatever you're in there for in the first place.
Besides the above, which I perservered through only by constant, fervent, intense prayer, I would suggest you get more information before subjecting yourself to this legal form of torture. Such as, know ahead of time that jack hammers will be sounding all around you as you are confined into this small tube, which is 1 inch from your nose and every other part of your body. Do not be alarmed. It IS magnetic RESONANCE after all. Also, you will be inside this claustrophobic casing for one hour!
To say I am "shook" is a gross understatement. Where are my drugs?
8 comments:
This is terrible!! I can't believe they did not explain all this too you before hand! I had a friend who recently went through this and she said they told her she could at anytime ask them to stop. That in itself gave her a feeling of control. They also explained the sounds she would be hearing, etc. I feel so badly for you! Dennis' son Kevin had one and he was feeling uncomfortable so they pulled him out and gave him valium and then he was just fine. What you went through was so unnecessary and it makes me mad that someone there did not make it easier on you.
I am shuttering still after I have read this. This sounds awful. I am glad you survived it though. I am sorry no one told you about anything. I guess you should always ask. I am all for drugs!!!!
PS I loved your comment on my blog about a smokeless day. I hope so. Like one of my little girls told me the other day, "I just can't take it any more!!!"
Holy smokes, Grandma. Way to battle through.
That definitely doesn't sound fun! I'll be sure to avoid those in the future!
I was blog hopping and found you, your MRI post gave me such a laugh. When I had mine done I had no clue. I went in with my eyes shut tight and praying.
Just reading about your experience put me in a cold sweat. I've discovered in my old age that I'm quite claustrophobic(is that how you spell it?). I think it stems from all those years of Brandon wrapping me in blankets and sitting on me. I don't think I would have made it through a minute, let alone an hour! You're one tough woman!
top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]casino bonus[/url] brake the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]realcazinoz.com[/url] manumitted no deposit perk at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]baywatchcasino.com
[/url].
Post a Comment